Welcome to Negaunee Township
Located in Marquette County in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, Negaunee Township was established on February 14, 1859.
The Townhip was originally made up of the territory which had been Teal Lake Township, with various sections of the western part subsequently being detached in the formation of Ishpeming and Tilden Townships.
The first settlements in the Township were made under the sponsorship of the Jackson Iron Company, as iron ore was discovered in the area by William A. Burt on September 19, 1844.
Today Negaunee Township is home to both residents and commercial businesses. The scenic setting is traversed by the Iron Ore Heritage Trail, a 48-mile, multi-use, year round trail that connects communities and people to the region’s historic sites and human stories. In addition, trails and water access throughout the Township offer year round recreation possibilities.